Wet Felting Wool (Second Attempt)

 Second Attempt at Wet Felting Wool

After doing some research after my first attempt at wet felting, I decided I needed to have another go but change a few thigs to make the felting process better/ easier. (Look at felting first attempt blog before this one).

Video 1
  • To begin this process I started the same way I did in my first attempt, by laying down carded wool vertically and horizontally.
  • Then, I added warm water onto the wool, using a bottle with holes poked in the lid.
  • Instead of using liquid soap with the water, I used a laid some mesh curtain material on top of the wool and rubbed a bar of olive oil soap over the wool. This soap creates less bubbles than washing up liquid, which can make it harder for the wool to felt. Using the mesh fabric, makes it easier to apply the soap and remove air from between the layers of wool.
  • When I had applied the water and soap, I removed the mesh and put bubble wrap on top of the wool and began to carefully roll the wool and start the felting process.
  • This time, I rolled the wool inside the bubble wrap around a rolling pin to help keep the wools shape whilst it felted. This also gave me more control when rolling.
  • Every now and then when I checked the wool, I pushed in the edges in attempt to maintain its shape.
Video 2
  • When I had finished rolling the wool and bubble wrap with the rolling pin, I removed the wool and rolled it on its own in a towel to let the fibres continue felting and shrink into a dry, felted piece of fabric.
  • Every rolling process took a long time as it had to be repeated a lot of times to let the wool felt properly.
Wet felting (second attempt)

This sample turned out very well, the wool kept its shape quite well and its thickness stayed fairly even.

Even thickness of felted wool

Third attempt at wet felting
I found it much harder to maintain the shape of the wool when I tried felting a larger piece.
This photo shows how uneven the thickness ended up being, more layers should have been added to this piece.

🌱Kat Webb🌱

Comments

Popular Posts